Arcane Ghosts Interview
Arcane Ghosts are a post-hardcore paragon who hail from way up in hockey country, Ontario, Canada. If you like shredding guitar solos, blistering drum beats, a huge stadium sized breakdown and amazing vocals to top it off, then look no further.
Arcane Ghosts combine heavy as hell breakdowns, catchy lyrics and a singalong chorus to create a track that is a must listen for any pop-punk fan as well as any post-hardcore fan. Currently they’re hard at work on their second EP, which is due for a 2018 release, so I caught up with the band to speak about their new music, their influences and haunting people in the bathroom…
“There was a moment when me and my first band went on our first weekend run tour with a couple buds. It was such an awesome time meeting new people, creating new connections and playing for different fans of music in a different city. I just remember loving that feeling and telling myself It would be a dream come true to play music for the rest of my life. “
1) FIRSTLY, RATHER A STRAIGHTFORWARD QUESTION, HOW DID YOU GET INTO MUSIC? WAS THERE A DECISIVE MOMENT OR EVENT THAT YOU REMEMBER THAT MADE YOU STOP AND THINK, WOW, HOLY SHIT THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO DO WITH MY LIFE?
Jason - I started to get into music when I was in Gr.9. I learned how to play bass and then self-taught myself how to play guitar. I decided to create a band in high school and that's kind of where my love for music really started to grow. There was a moment when me and my first band went on our first weekend run tour with a couple buds. It was such an awesome time meeting new people, creating new connections and playing for different fans of music in a different city. I just remember loving that feeling and telling myself It would be a dream come true to play music for the rest of my life.
Matt - I was 12 years old, and a friend and I were so into Green Day. So, we decided to pick up music. After the first show I ever played, nothing since has given me the same level of satisfaction.
Eric - I always listened to music early on, but I learned to play drums from the game Rockband. It gave me enough satisfaction that I had to go and learn the real thing. I owe it all to video games.
2) “DISSIPATE” IN PARTICULARLY SHOWS MASSIVE AMBITION FOR A BAND SO EARLY IN YOUR CAREER. THE GUITAR RIFFS ARE AMAZING, THE DRUMS ARE POUNDING, AND THE VOCAL PERFORMANCE IS SIMPLY STAGGERING, THE SONG HAS A MASSIVE ANTHEMIC FEEL AND COULD EASILY INSPIRE STADIUM SIZED MOSH PITS. WHAT IS THE CRAZIEST/ MOST UNUSUAL THING THAT YOU HAVE SEEN AT A ARCANE GHOSTS MOSH PIT OR GIG IN GENERAL?
Jason - One of the craziest things I’ve ever seen at a show was there was a mosh pit where this one really small chick wanted to get down and dirty and crowd kill every guy standing there in the crowd with their arms crossed. It was such a funny sight in the moment to see this 5” tall girl try and attack these tall/muscular scary looking guys.
Matt - I think the craziest thing I've seen at a show was a wall of death at Warped Tour, where someone in the crowd got their spacer ripped. It was disgusting.
“Mixing all these types of genres can also sometimes get really clustered if it isn't done right so it takes even longer in the song writing process to have the song flow properly and sound like one song which is why Traveller definitely sounded a lot more experimental in my opinion for sound. “
3) ALL OF US HERE AT ECHION MUSIC BELIEVE THAT “TRAVELLER” IS AN AMAZING EP AND SHOWS THAT ARCANE GHOSTS HAVE CRAZY POTENTIAL! THE EP FEATURES MANY DIFFERENT INFLUENCES AND GENRES ALL INTERTWINED IN A POWERFUL ALTERNATIVE ROCK PACKAGE, WHICH REALLY PACKS A SLEDGEHAMMER OF A PUNCH. HOW DID THIS UNIQUE SOUND COME ABOUT?
Jason - The sound really came from what the band was listening to at the time of recording and writing. In the moment of writing for the EP Traveller. I remember I was heavily listening to a lot of bands like Pierce the Veil, Mayday Parade, Emarosa, The Story So Far, Man Overboard and many more pop punk bands at the time. There was also a lot of pop/R&B/indie influence as well in terms of vocal melodies I remember listening to a lot of The Weekend, Travis Scott, Maroon 5, Ed Sheeran, Kings of Leon. Mixing all these types of genres can also sometimes get really clustered if it isn't done right so it takes even longer in the song writing process to have the song flow properly and sound like one song which is why Traveller definitely sounded a lot more experimental in my opinion for sound.
4) RECENTLY ON FACEBOOK YOU POSTED A VIDEO OF JASON LAYING DOWN SOME VOCALS FOR A “NEW JAM THAT WILL MAKE YOU GET OFF YOUR SEAT AND DANCE”. DOES THIS MEAN THAT WE CAN EXPECT SOME NEW MUSIC FROM ARCANE GHOSTSSOON?
Jason - 100% New music is coming soon in the near future.
Matt - Definitely, we've just finished recording a new EP, which we'll be releasing in the near future.
Eric - New music is coming soon.
“it was such a fun time driving 5 hours to get to a venue we have never played before just to find out it's just a small stage in someone's basement with a lovely T-swift poster hanging on the wall.”
5) IF WE CAN EXPECT NEW MUSIC FROM THE BAND THIS YEAR, CAN YOU GIVE US ANY JUICY DETAILS ON THE RELEASE YET? IS IT A NEW SINGLE A NEW EP OR A NEW ALBUM? (IF YOU CAN’T PUBLICLY SAY ANYTHING YET PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LEAVE THIS QUESTION.)
Jason - We can’t say too much about it just yet but what I can tell you is that it will be another EP containing 6 songs. We already released the first single off the EP which is Dissipate and we will be shooting a music video for the next single very soon. In terms of a release date for the EP we can’t release those details just yet.
Eric - Just you wait
6) YOU GUYS HAVE SUPPORTED BANDS SUCH AS RARITY, HEAVY HEARTS AND CERTAINTY, DO YOU HAVE ANY SHOWS/TOURS THAT STAY IN YOUR MIND AS YOUR FAVOURITE? DO YOU HAVE ANY FAVOURITE PERFORMANCES YOU CAN RECALL OR ANY MEMORABLE VENUES YOU HAVE PLAYED?
Jason - My favourite show to date would have to be our first show in Ottawa. We haven't done much touring just yet, but this show definitely sticks out the most because the crowd energy was killer and also it was such a fun time driving 5 hours to get to a venue we have never played before just to find out it's just a small stage in someone's basement with a lovely T-swift poster hanging on the wall. The scene down in Ottawa is also amazing all the peeps came out and said hello, checked out all the bands in this sweaty basement. It was just good vibes.
Eric - I think the most memorable venue I had playing was at the Bovine in Toronto, I went outside, and Ian D'sa from Billy Talent was standing there just minding his own.
“I think the song that best captures the Arcane Ghosts style would 100% have to be the new single Dissipate. It has the perfect blend of what makes our sound. In the new EP you will definitely hear how this song influenced a lot of the other songs on the album and how they were written and composed. “
7) IF PEOPLE HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ARCANE GHOSTS BEFORE, HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOURSELF A BAND? IS THERE A SPECIFIC TRACK WHICH YOU FEEL BEST ENCAPSULATES THE ARCANE GHOSTS STYLE?
Jason - We create music for all types of listeners. As much as I love my melodic riffs sometimes all you need to enjoy a song is just a good melody or chorus. For us in terms of sound I would describe our sound as crazy ass drum parts infused with crazy rhythmic/melodic riffs including groovy bass with catchy choruses and hooks. As a band we all agree to write whatever we feel like writing we try not too hard to overwrite a song and I think you can hear that in our music. Sometimes we try not to follow the normal structure of song writing and try to change it up for the listener so it's not the same boring repetitive music that we hear sometimes. We like to make our music interesting to listen to and make sure a listener can't guess what’s coming next. I think the song that best captures the Arcane Ghosts style would 100% have to be the new single Dissipate. It has the perfect blend of what makes our sound. In the new EP you will definitely hear how this song influenced a lot of the other songs on the album and how they were written and composed.
Matt - I'd say we sound like Basement and Citizen getting math lessons from Dance Gavin Dance. I definitely think Dissipateis a perfect example of our new sound.
Eric - I think Dissipate is what best encapsulates as a band so far, with our next EP being following suit.
8) YOU GUYS WERE ORIGINALLY CONCEIVED OVER A FEW BEERS WHILE AT UNIVERSITY. ARE THERE ANY DRUNKEN TALES THAT STICK WITH YOU FROM THIS TIME? WHO IS THE BIGGEST LIGHTWEIGHT DRINKER IN THE BAND?
Jason - Drunken tales.... Oh man there is too many. I'm scared my mom is going to read this Interview, so I will keep mine brief and PG. My favourite memory would have to be a house show we played in Milton, Ontario. Eric and I were drinking before the set and then we decided during our set we were going to cover Sugar were going down by Fall Out Boy. All I remember is Eric spaced out during the breakdown of the song and instead of playing the normal drum riff he was playing this sped up version and I just gave him this angrily look mixed with like a big ass smile. It's all good though we just laughed it off and continued to drink more after the set. Good times. Also, I’m sure Matt is the biggest lightweight.
Matt - Matt is definitely the biggest lightweight.
Eric - Jason has an addiction to Four loKo, Matt doesn't drink before shows, and I am DEFINITELY the biggest lightweight.
“Recently the newer stuff is a lot different from Traveller in terms of lyrical writing. The instrumentals have changed quite a bit as well with the newer music. If I had to categorize us as a genre I would say we are an Alternative Post hardcore rock band.”
9) LET’S BE HONEST, IT’S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME UNTIL YOU HIT THE MAJOR MAJOR BIG TIME. HOWEVER, IF YOU HAD THE CHOICE NOW TO HEADLINE ANY FESTIVAL WHICH WOULD IT BE AND WHY? ALSO WHEN YOU ARE HEADLINING WHAT WOULD THE ARCANE GHOSTS RIDER CONSIST OF?
Jason - Thanks so much for believing that we can make it in this crazy industry. If we had to headline any festival of our choice, we would love to headline Rockfest. Rockfest has always had such an amazing line-up of bands and the fans that go out to Rockfest are so into all the music that is being played at the festival. It would be such a unique opportunity to meet the bands and play alongside the bands that inspired us to become musicians and also inspired us to have the courage to write our own songs and compose. Would definitely be a dream come true.
Matt - I would love to headline Rockfest!
10) ARCANE GHOSTS HAVE BEEN DESCRIBED IN MANY, MANY WAYS. YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE TITLE OF POP-PUNK, POP-ROCK, ALTERNATIVE AND EVEN STONER ROCK. WHAT GENRE WOULD YOU PLACE YOURSELF IN IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE JUST ONE?
Jason- This is a tough question … Recently the newer stuff is a lot different from Traveller in terms of lyrical writing. The instrumentals have changed quite a bit as well with the newer music. If I had to categorize us as a genre I would say we are an Alternative Post hardcore rock band.
Matt - We all have so many different influences, it's hard to pick just one genre, but I think post-hardcore covers it the most.
Eric - This is such a hard question, because we have influences from all over the place. Somewhere between alternative and Post hardcore?
11) FINALLY, IF YOU GUYS WERE ACTUALLY GHOSTS WHAT KIND OF OOKY SPOOKY THINGS WOULD YOU GET UP TO?
Jason- If I was a ghost I would definitely get up to some spooky things like haunting people in the bathroom while they are vulnerable pooping. Just freak the shit out of them by making weird sounds and slamming doors. There is nothing worse than being stuck on a toilet mid poop and hearing weird sounds because you can't escape the stall without finishing. Oh, definitely would haunt some people from McDonald's cause I used to work there, and I still got some unfinished business with some of the customers that used to come in and order like 100 Junior chickens without calling in first. I will get my revenge soon....